Sunday, 18 May 2008

Inspiration

Sunday 9.39am

Having watched a few episodes of Kitchen Nightmares I am reading Gordon Ramsay’s book “Playing with Fire” just now, and am really enjoying it. As an entertaining biography, a self help book, and a business book it works on several levels. Far from being the swearing bully he was portrayed as by the media some years ago, he actually cares, has been there and knows his stuff –he is certainly inspiring me at the moment.

This particular sentence jumped out at me –

“Finding great talent, looking after staff and nurturing their talent is what we do well. Losing good people is symptomatic of only one thing: truly crap, appalling and abysmal management. “

I mean if you pay so little attention to those working for you that you do not know they are unhappy, that they see no future with you, and then when they leave it comes as a complete surprise - what does that say about you.

3 comments:

Sweet Mary said...

Too right Peter - I am right with you on that one. Some people don't know the meaning of respect and never will - they always think its the other person with the problem. Might have to read that book myself sometime.

Peter said...

Respect, yes you have hit the nail on the head there Kerrian, and having been there yourself you should know.

One thing I have learnt in my various working lives is that you must treat everyone decently and with respect, from the lowest of the low to the highest of the high.

peter

Veronica said...

Hi,
That book seems quite pertinent to your last post doesnt it.

Wise choice moving on from that job. I once had a toxic workplace, I didnt even realise for quite a while, but then I woke up and left. I felt so much lighter after that.

Sorry for the loss of you Father, I hope you and family are doing ok.

Related Posts with Thumbnails