Thursday, 10 July 2008

Pumpkin and Cashew nut Soup

Thursday 7.40pm

There is a chill in the air telling me that although I cannot see it on this bright fresh day, winter is still here. Time for another creamy, comforting soup once again making good use of the warming fragrance of black pepper.

- An onion and a clove of garlic are set to cook slowly in some olive oil.
- About two ounces of roasted cashew nut are put into a small ziplock bag and bashed with a rolling pin to a lumpy flour. I used my youngest for this as it is the school holidays and he was looking bored. (he did the bashing that is, I didn’t use him as the rolling pin)
- Pop the nuts into a small amount of stock and left to soak.
- Meanwhile I have peeled a three or four inch piece of pumpkin and chopped it into chunks.
- Now the last time I made soup I burnt the onions when I added the pumpkin and upped the heat, so this time I scooped out the onions, put the pumpkin in, stirred it around a bit until blackened at the edges.
- The onions go back in along with a pint and a quarter of vegetable stock and the heat turned down to a simmer.
- Twenty minutes later all is cooked.
- Into the liquidiser go the cashews and their stock to whizz them a bit finer then the soup is added and blended together.
- Back into the cleaned saucepan it all goes with a little bit of salt and lots of black pepper to warm through.

This will be my lunch tomorrow at work, a small quiet oasis in what will probably be a hectic day.

3 comments:

Sweet Mary said...

Yum

Kathy said...

Sounds delish! Will definitely give it a try :)

I am a friend of Hazel's (blossom hill cottons)...clicked through to Sweet Mary, then couldn't resist a look at your blog...with a name like that :)

Great blog...hope you don't mind me stopping by.

Peter said...

thanks for the kind words kathy, soup was good especially next day, although the smell wafted throughout the surgery and was commented on ! so perhaps I'll keep soup at home from now on.
off to have a look at your blog now :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails