Monday, 13 August 2007

Leek and Bacon Pie


Monday 6.45pm

OK, pay attention now, this may get confusing.

Tea tonight started out as to be bacon sandwiches. But I fancied spaghetti with bacon and had the urge to flavour it with some sage from the garden. Now Nicola is not a great fan of pasta and bacon so a Quiche as well came to mind and then I could have any extra for my lunch at work tomorrow. So I sliced up all the bacon ( about 10 slices ) and fried it slowly with a clove of garlic sliced up and 3 or 4 sage leaves chopped. Pastry case made and some of the bacon went in for the quiche and the rest saved for the pasta later on. Unfortunately I forgot to put any cheese in the quiche ( so bacon and egg pie now ) and nobody showed any enthusiasm for pasta. Or bacon and egg pie. Luckily Nicola had been shopping and brought some more bacon so on went the breadmaker to make dough and back to bacon rolls again ! This left me with a bowl of cooked bacon pieces with sage and garlic and since everybody else was happy I could make one of my favourites - leek and bacon pie. First more pastry was required - two cups of plain flour, 100g butter from the fridge worked together to look like breadcrumbs then pulled together with two or three tablespoons of cold water to form a stiff dough. While this rests in gladwrap in the fridge for half an hour a couple of leeks are fried slowly in oil and butter and the bacon added. The oven is on for the rolls so pastry comes out of the fridge gets rolled out, then into a buttered dish, leeks, with a tablespoon of flour stirred in into the middle and pastry on top. Into the oven it goes for 15 minutes or so till the pastry is cooked. I had also hard boiled some eggs earlier. Leeks and eggs are a wonderfull combination so leek and bacon pie served with an egg salad it was. And delicious it was as well.

1 comment:

Peter said...

I had garlic in with the bacon but it doesn't seem to add anything so is not really necessary here. Also I had cooked the bacon earlier but normally the leeks and bacon are just sweated together while the pastry rests.

Related Posts with Thumbnails