This is becoming a bit too depressing - time for something comforting, Pumpkin soup I think.
here is the recipe that I use
1/2 onion, 1 clove garlic
- fry gently 5 minutes or so in oil and 1/4"slice butter till onion is clear
cut say a 3" piece of pumpkin scoop out seeds and peel
- turn up heat, add pumpkin and stir till pumpkin browns and blackens at the edges
- add 1 1/4 pints 1/2 strength vegetable stock ( say 1 dsp stock powder or 1/2 a stock cube )
- add a tomato or two chopped or 1/3 tin tomatoes drained
- reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or so till pumpkin is nice and soft.
- cool a little then liquidise
- salt, pepper to taste and adjust thickness with more stock if neccesary - should be thickish and velvety.
This is the basic recipe.
Today I added the following
1/2 a cinammon stick
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 finely chopped small red chilli
- fry all these very gently in a slice of butter and some oil, going carefully so as not to burn the spices or the butter.
- take off the heat and add -
1tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp of turmeric
- allow to warm through and add to the soup
or if you have no spices just add say a teaspoon or so of curry powder to taste to the soup or warmed in butter first.
You can vary the soup as you feel eg-
-add some bacon with the onions at the beginning
- a big handfull of spinach with the stock
- any vegetables you fancy could go in with the pumpkin eg carrots or celery or courgettes, whatever. I would probably only go for one other to keep the flavour clean.